Friday, May 14, 2010

One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest

The end of my book, One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest, was very interesting and surprising to me. I was not expecting the outcome that came. For one, I did not ever expect that anyone would kill McMurphy, let alone Chief. McMurphy was like their saving grace and the one who was going to get them out of there. I wasn’t expecting Chief to do it either because throughout the book, Chief has been the quiet, shy one that never really said much. I still don’t really understand why he even did it.
One event that I saw coming from the beginning was Billy Bibbit killing himself. I didn’t know that he was going to “cut his throat”, but I did know he was going to do it sooner or later, (Kesey 266). He gave little hints every now and then that made me think he was going to do it. Also, he was very self-conscious and was embarrassed of himself. When the nurse caught him with Candy it was what pushed him over the edge.
I also knew that eventually the nurse would get revenge on McMurphy and damage him permanently. When he “grabbed for her and ripped her uniform all the way down the front,” I knew he was going to have serious consequences that would hinder him for the rest of his life (Kesey 267). I was not surprised when he had the surgery done, but I was very angry when the nurse left him lying in the hallway for everyone to see.
Overall, I am very glad I got to read this book. It was very intense and interesting after you made sense of it. It is the best book I have ever been assigned to read for school.

Kesey, Ken. One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest. New York: Penguin Book, 1962. Print.

1 comment:

  1. I also didn't expect the ending to be like that either. It surprised me that Billy would kill himself and Chief would kill McMurphy. I didn't Billy would kill himself. I figured that he would go on with his life thinking about what he did with the girl and talk about it with his mom who probably would still be mad with him because of what he did that night. I figured the nurse would do something to McMurphy but I didn't think he would have to go get surgery and become a vegetable. Overall the ending was surprising and the book was very good.

    ReplyDelete