Friday, May 14, 2010

One flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest

We have finished the book One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest and I think that there a lot of symbolism that was talked about and was described by Chief. The first one that was stated toward the end of the book was the electric shock table that was described. The shock table is in the shape of a cross. This is a form of symbolism because Christ died on the cross and many of the men in the institute feel like they had died on the table. Another form of symbolism that I have found was the fog machine that was talked a lot about by Chief. The fog machine makes people “can’t see” and they feel “scared” (13). This is like being lost. The fog machine is actually the men on medication. The last symbolism that I have found at the end of the book was “Mrs. Tingle Tangle toes, catching hens” (239). I think this is a form of symbolism because it is like McMurphy getting the men and the Big Nurse on his side so he can take over the institute.

Courtney Kjeldgaard

Kesey, Ken. One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest. New York: Signet, 1963. Print

3 comments:

  1. I agree with the symbolism you have found in this book. I thought all of it was interesting and very intense. The rhyme about the hens and the goose was really confusing at first, but once I figured out what it meant, I thought was it was awesome and I would have never been able to think of symbolism like that if I was writing a book.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with the huge symbolism the song has to the book. the tingle tangle toes girl i believe is meant to be the big nurse, comapring the patitents to chickens she is herding into a pen. McMurphy is like the goose that plucks them out of the nest and freeing them. McMurphy even said he was the Bull Goose Loony.

    ReplyDelete