Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Catcher in the rye mario melendez

In this book I don’t think Holden is comfortable with his own sexuality. For example at the end of chapter twenty four when Mr. Antolini patted Holden on the head when he was sleeping. Holden freaked out when he woke up to this and left Mr. Antolini’s house. I think Holden just freaks out to easily because he doesn’t know how to handle anything. I also don’t think Holden is comfortable with his own sexuality because when he was talking to his old friend Luce, he only talked bout girls and sex. Then Luce told him that he hasn’t matured since the last time he saw him. If you ask me, these 2 situations tell me that Holden isn’t comfortable with his own sexuality. Why would he freak out that Mr.Antolini was touching his head when he was sleeping. I think Mr.Antolini was just acting as a father figure to him. Also why would he only talk about girls and sex with Luce. The only reason for these 2 situations is because he isn’t comfortable with his sexuality. But I do believe Holden is trying to find himself in life, because right now he doesn’t know who he really is.

Salinger, J.D. The Catcher in the Rye. Little, Brown, 1951. Print.

2 comments:

  1. I agree with you that Holden is uncomforable with himself and his sexuality. I wonder if this is because he hasn't found his own identity yet. He seems to be searching for it and the only way he indentifies himself is by telling himself who and what he hates. What he needs to do if find what he DOES like and go for it.- Maddy Kemme

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with both of you how Holden's comfort about his sexuality is moderately low. He is still immature and afraid to go further. With all the dates Holden has recently had, he has ruined each of them by his crude and immature remarks. The girls are easily annoyed. Holden will not let anyone near him emotionally, so that's why I think he puts on this little act of childish humor.

    -Eddie Prieto

    ReplyDelete