Friday, April 30, 2010

The THings They Carried

The book the The Things They Carried has, so far, been a great read. Tim O’Brien has done a great job with describing the characters and there personalities. You really get attached to them and feel emotional if any die. For instance, Ted Lavender, generally a good guy, maybe a bit loopy but still just a kid trying to cope with being in a war that he may or may not agree with. I felt quite sad when he was “Zapped while zipping”. (17) The book actually make me think about what I would do if I was in a similar situation as these young men, and that, in my opinion, makes this book great. You can relate to it, in a way, you can identify with all the fears and concerns that these boys have. The most emotional passage for me is where Elroy Berdahl takes the author to the border of the United States and Canada. There, on a small metal fishing boat on the Rainy River, the 18 year old author makes a choice that no boy should have to make, to go to war. So far this has been a great book filled with emotion and energy only Tim O’Brien could write with.
By: ALEX BREEN

2 comments:

  1. I agree with your point of view alex. This book really brings you in and makes you want to read on. I am excited to read on in this book and see what happens in the war. The book is very interesting. I agree with you that the book makes you think about what you would be like in the vietnam war. This book is a very good read. I cant wait to finish it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I definatly would have to agree with you Alex. There is a lot of emotion in this book, not only from the men who die, but the memories and lives the soliders have to leave behind. For instance Jimmy Cross and his "obssesion" for Martha. I would also have to agree with O'Brien having to make the desision to go to war. That is the most emotional passage so far. :)

    Comment By: CHELSEA STRANG

    ReplyDelete