Thursday, April 29, 2010

One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest - 4/29/10

When I first started this book, I was very confused and did not like it at all. I then talked about it with my group and realized that Chief is a little insane and sees things differently than a normal person and often gets pulled into a “fog,” (Kesey 13). Knowing this, I tried to look at this story from a different perspective and see things the way Chief does. After I took this approach, I understood it much better.
So far, we have been introduced to many characters and it is a little hard to keep them straight, but I do remember that McMurphy is one of the main characters and I don’t really like him. He seems like he is always causing trouble. He stirs up feeling in the patients that they would never have felt on their own which causes them to create more trouble too. McMurphy also gets into an argument with Harding almost immediately after he arrives. He tries to explain his theory of the “peckin’ party” but nobody really understands what he is trying to say (Kesey 56). Overall, he is not insane, he tries to create arguments, and he brings way to much stress and drama to the men.
While reading this book, I also had some questions. First, why are there no women patients in the asylum? Secondly, why is Chief in the asylum? Was it an event that led him to this? I don’t think he was born this way because if he was, he wouldn’t fake being deaf and mute to get into the asylum in the first place. Finally, will Chief get Big Nurse to crack?

3 comments:

  1. I agree with you Taylor. I am also wondering what lead the Chief to the hospital. I also agree with you on being confused. This book is hard to follow. If you think about things from the Chief's point of view it does make it clear to why he is saying these things and how his thought process is different. As for my prediction on getting the Big Nurse to crack, I think he will because she seems like she is almost on the brink of it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also agree. At first you had no idea what was going on. The next class, I talked with my group and they all had a different view on things. We had to discuss it and then we finally realized what was going on. The chief is in the hospital because he has delusions and he thinks that they are real. Most people consider this enough to be considered mental; others think it is somewhat normal. It is not only chief trying to get Big Nurse to crack. McMurphy is the main contributor to getting the nurse to crack because he is the only one who is able to do anything about it because the other patients are scared of her.
    -Craig Noe

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hospital wards that are live-in are traditionally separated by gender, so there would be another ward in the building for the women.

    ReplyDelete