Thursday, April 29, 2010

The Things They Carried

The book, The Things They Carried, tells about the American soldiers who had to endure hardships through the Vietnam War. The author Tim O’Brien is a great writer and describes situations in detail and also puts you in the shoes of some characters.
Tim O’Brien is the narrator as well as the author and he tells about his friends and himself in different situations during the war. He tells about what happened to him before the war and during the war and then after the war. Tim also talks about his friends and the men in his platoon and what they went through during and after the war as well. He tells different stories with much emotion and detail. While he was explaining what he was going through as a kid before the war, it really made me think about what I would have done if I had gotten the draft letter myself. He describes his emotions, his feelings, and what he did and what he didn’t do. Another time when the author made me really think about what I would have done if I was in his shoes was when he was talking about when Mr. Elroy Berdohl took him to the river and showed him Canada. If I was a kid his age, I would probably be freaking out about war and life and death. He really puts the reader in the spot light and I enjoy reading this book for that reason and others.

Stephen Bradley

No comments:

Post a Comment